The Summer Reading Challenge 2020 – Silly Squad
Last year over 8000 Dorset children aged 4-12 years participated in the Summer Reading Challenge – run nationally by libraries and The Reading Agency. This reader development promotion is designed to encourage 4-12-year olds to read for pleasure and to help maintain literacy levels over the summer holiday period.
This year's Summer Reading Challenge is Silly Squad; a celebration of funny books, happiness and laughter. In light of the Covid 19 restrictions, the Challenge this year will be digital.
How Silly Squad will work (The promotion will run from June to September 2020)
· Children join the Challenge online at www.sillysquad.org.uk and set their own target for their challenge
· They read or listen to books, comics etc. that make them happy!
· Adding each completed book to their online profile will give a reward of online badges, games and videos
· When their challenge is complete children download their certificate
· Children can take part using our digital lending services, or what they have at home. When libraries reopen, they’ll be able to borrow library books.
· Children who are not library members can join online for instant access to our digital services; they will be sent a library card when libraries reopen.
Library activities to support the Challenge
· Children will have the opportunity to take part in Arts Award Discover as part of their Summer Reading Challenge and will receive a certificate from Trinity College London upon completion.
o More information on how to take part can be found on our website
Thank you for your continued support and we hope that the children will enjoy taking part in this year’s Challenge.