In Key Stage 2 (Years 5 & 6) homework is set as follows:
- English (writing): at least once a week
- Maths: at least once a week
- Reading: pupils are asked to read as often as possible as having good reading skills supports learning in all other areas.
- Integrated Learning*
* Other subjects with set homework to fit within the curriculum.
In Key Stage 3 (Years 7 & 8) homework is set as follows:
- English: at least once a week; students are encouraged to read as often and as widely as possible.
- Maths: at least once a week.
- Science: once a week.
* Will set homework from time to time to fit in with the curriculum.
In Key Stage 3 the quantity of homework increases. This is to ensure that:
- all of the requirements of the curriculum are covered, and
- to prepare students for upper school, where the quantity of work required will increase significantly. Pupils need to learn to organise their time appropriately and manage a heavier workload.
In all year groups, it is expected that homework tasks should take between 30 minutes and 45 minutes, although this can vary slightly depending on the task and the pupil. Homework tasks should be designed to consolidate what students are learning in lessons or prepare students for the next learning. It is important that parents and students understand that missing homework tasks can impact upon a student’s progress in class.